Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Why Authors Hate Doing Book Store Events

Okay, I have refrained from ranting but back in June I was asked to do an event for a bookstore. I only toured locally for my last book, while my previous book took me out for 60 (yes, _6_0_) in a year.

Author's do book events because they help sell books. It is good to get out with fans--and if they like you they buy.

Booksellers like book events because they view them as part of their customer service support--and that is the fatal flaw.

Book events are for selling books. Authors take time off from writing, travel, pay for hotel, transportation, and meals to help sell books. They don't view them as a customer service activity--they are there to help make money--for the publisher, for the bookseller, and for the often paultry royalty checks that eventually roll in.

So, I showed up for my event--and not only was the bookseller rude to me, they didn't have one book in stock. Not one. The owner demanded to know if I had brought them!

"Uh, no. I don't ever bring them. All the bookstores either order them from their distributors or my publishers--and nobody asked me to do such a thing."

My thoughts were, "You must be kidding me, you asked me to come and now you want me to fund your inventory? This on top of spending two days in travel and prep when I could be writing or creating an income!"

If I was someone else, I would have turned around the car when I called the store in the am and the bookseller didn't have the time to talk to me. However, I stayed and I enjoyed the company of a number of pet owners and pets that came and stayed to visit with me for a solid hour. One dog and owner kept me chatting for another hour before I took off for lunch.

I did take order forms--hopefully they will order from me or the website..

I'll save you all the details but I have to say the bookseller has the distinction of being one of the rudest people I have ever agreed to do an event for. His event guy seemed super but was not there--and one staff member came in for the event. Other than that I won't recommend the place or go back.

If you talk to an author you will find we all have a lot of the same stories...I don't do bookstore events much these days--only for those I know and like AND for those who pay the minimum deposit now required to cover my expenses.

Don't think that this is a unique experience. Here are some of the other things that have happened--be sure to add your own.

  • No books were on hand for a signing at a major book festival when the author showed up.
  • Other authors were also selling books (author was not notified--this can work for you).
  • Booksellers had not set up for the author and the event started late.
  • Book Store did not announce or promote the event prior to the signing.
  • Books were not on display prior to the event nor were any signs posted.
  • The event location was closed upon arrival--only opened a couple of minutes before the event.
  • A signing with the publisher was arranged at a large event. The publisher did not want a poster annoucing the event put near the booth. They also did not advance promote the event AND when the author was signing promoted another author instead of the one in the booth!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home